Tuesday, June 21, 2005

About the New Testament in Plain English

Inspired by Wayne Leman's Better Bibles Blog, this blog will be a multi-authored project to translate the New Testament into plain English. Although if it is ever finished the result will be a full Bible translation, the process of translation will be the aim in itself. The discussions and debates will themselves be the whole point, with the final translation almost a by-product.

What are Dave Rattigan's qualifications?
I make no pretence of being a qualified Bible scholar or linguist. I do, however, have a degree in Biblical-Theological Studies, and a Post-Graduate Certificate of Education in Religious Education (I'm a qualified teacher of secondary RE, in other words). My own private studies have given me a grasp of the New Testament beyond my college education, and I also have a solid informal background (again my own reading and studies) in language and Linguistics in general.

Who can contribute?
Those who are suitably qualified. Formal qualifications aren't strictly necessary, but to avoid this becoming a free-for-all, there will need to be some evidence of knowledge and understanding of the issues at an academic level. Do you have a background in Biblical Studies? Have you written before on scholarly issues? Do you have a good understanding of language and Linguistics? I will invite a number of people to contribute at first, and others will be invited to apply if they are nominated by an existing contributor. You are welcome to request a nomination, but have a think about whether you are really qualified first -- I'd hate to have to embarrass someone by turning them down.

Is it Christians-only?
No. Anyone suitably qualified and with a scholarly interest in the Bible can apply.

How do I contribute?
If your application is successful, you'll be added to the blog as an author, which means you can log into Blogger at any time and add or update an entry. There is no requirement for how much you post or how often, but your contribution should fall into one of these categories:
  • A translation of a verse or passage
  • A defence of, argument for or discussion about a translation or translation issue
  • A response or contribution to a particular discussion on the blog
For the sake of clarity, the project will begin with just one book of the New Testament (since that is my area of expertise, in so far as I am "expert" at all), and will be confined to one passage initially. I suggest a gospel, probably Mark, but I will see how far I get finding some contributors before I/we decide.

3 Comments:

Blogger Wayne Leman said...

Nice start, lean and clean look, Dave.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Roopster said...

Dave, Can we recommend which verses to leave out of this new translation :)

Paul

11:38 AM  
Blogger King of Peace said...

I'm game to work on it. I have a M.Div. degree, during which I studied both Greek and, in addition to the New Testament in genral, also the Gospel of Mark in specific. I have previously worked on translating Mark.

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor + King of Peace Episcopal Church

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home